Friday, January 5, 2007

Some writing

I've got some new writing that I've been working on. This is mostly just a break for me; I wanted to write something without any idea of where I'm going with it and with no prior planning.
Without further delay, a random bit of writing!


There was a little cafe in the middle of everything. The huge everything swallowed whatever building was put into it, digested it for a decade and by the time it was spat back out. Whatever new and innovative architecture was originally there was erased under layers of graffiti and third-rate repairs. The cafe that was in the middle of everything somehow managed to avoid this curse. The walls were free from gang slogans and teenage love notes, the sidewalk in front of the building was somehow kept clean and all the lights inside worked. Last generations jazz hits softly slipped out of the speakers and filled up the room. A teenage barista served steaming espresso's to customers taking a moment out of their day to recharge their batteries. College students with Macbooks typed away at essays. In the corner of the room, two teenage boys quietly talked to each other.

"I feel like I'm drinking up her golden hair whenever I see her. I'm just swimming in it. Swimming in everything. She's beautiful."
"You, my friend, are completely and totally infatuated."
"No no, this is love, man!"
"Keep your voice down James or we'll get thrown out. I don't want to get thrown out of here because you're blabbering about your current crush and you've deluded yourself again into thinking this is some sort of love."
James took a bite out of his over-sized cookie. "No Dion, this is different from Alexandra. This time it's totally love."
"Chew swallow talk. Chew swallow talk. It's disgusting when you can't keep the order of things straight." Dion took a sip from his coffee and swallowed it loudly before continuing. "And what about Melinda? Didn't you love her?"
"Well, that's diff-"
"And Nadia?"
"That was just-"
"I've got a whole list of people that you've 'loved' and it is getting on my nerves that you keep deluding yourself into thinking that every girl you make out with is your one true love."
James glared at Dion. "You've got no sense of romance in you."
Dion finished his coffee and stood up. "No, I don't. Ready to go?"
James stuffed his half-eaten cookie into his mouth and nodded. "Yupth."
"Disgusting."

The city was everything to its inhabitants and everything was the city. The people were the city. The stores they shopped in, the food they ate, the salty water they drink, the air they breathed. It was all the city. Light flooded onto the streets from the cracks between skyscrapers. A beggar, fresh from the sewer, pleaded to every passerby for money so that she could survive another day. A well dressed man with a holy book held high shouted with a clear voice over the crowded streets.
"The bubble that shields you from the outside world will burst!" People ignored him. "Those who are saints shall be saved!" People rolled their eyes at him. "Those who are sinners shall drown in the flood!" People glared at him.

Dion and James flowed through the river of people. They gushed exuberantly around the shoppers with their empty pockets and filled bags. They trickled guiltily past the beggars. They bubbled mockingly at the man with the holy book.
"What about a turban?" James asked.
"Why would she like a turban? I mean, does she wear turbans, are they fashionable?"
"I dunno."
"Of course you don't! You're so totally in love with this chick, but you don't know anything about her!" Dion's left hand started shaking and he held onto it with his right one. "Stupid drunken whore..." he muttered.
"I know plenty about her!" James barely glanced at Dion's hand.
"I doubt this. Like what?"
"Like she's a great kisser."
Dion rolled his eyes.
"And she's got the moves, if you know what I mean." James thrusted his pelvis back and forth a few times.
"Please never do that again. You're polluting the fresh air." Dion's hand stopped shaking.
"You're starting to sound like preacher-man, buddy boy."
"Preacher-man says not to sin and while I say don't tell me about your sins. There are plenty of good reasons to ignore his advice - and I know you're so eager to list them but please don't - but I've got a large number of very detailed reasons why you shouldn't tell me about your bedroom adventures." Dion looked around at the tall buildings around him. "Where are we?"
James looked at the streets in front of him. "I've got no idea."
"I've never seen these buildings before. Shouldn't we have arrived by now? This... this must be part of the conspiracy!" Dion starred directly into James's eyes. "They're on to us."
James's pupils dilated and his eyes opened wide with fear. "They're on to us!? What are we going to do!" He spun around, waving his arms wildly. "What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do? Why are they on to us? What did we do? We're doomed, man, doomed!"
Dion had a look of contempt on his face. It was the special look that he only used when people were acting idiotically. "You're so easy. We overshot The Windmill, that's all. It's two blocks behind us."
James calmed down. "Oh."
"Come on, let's go."



The Windmill is definetly going to be some sort of Don Quixote reference, I just don't know what kind of reference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would find it depressing if you have read Don Quixote. I would not touch Don Quixote with a ten-foot pole.

Quite nice. Could a round of simple editing (sentence rearrangement, yon stuff like that), but no giant mistakes leap out at me. Funny, I recently did something that started in a cafe.

Jarne said...

I read the first book; it is divided into two parts if I remember. This was for Kate's book group, which would be a reasonable excuse for me having to read it but I'm the one who recommended it. I remember thinking "this is one of those comedy classics" but... it wasn't funny. Really hard and tedious. You also shouldn't have to re-read a passage just to get a poop joke.

I haven't gotten any editing done, this is the rough rough draft. I do like how it came out as well, 'tis nice not to have any giant glaring errors leap out at people.

Care to share the cafe story?

Tick-Tick said...

It's the opening of a story. And it's - not exactly a cafe, it's cafe-ish. But maybe I'll post it on my blog.

Tick-Tick said...

Interesting thing - your cafe is special cause no graffiti, and my cafe one of the big features is the graffiti.

Jarne said...

The stories are two sides of the same coin, it seems.